Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What's on My Nightstand -- June

Well, after wrapping up the Spring Reading Thing, and STILL not reading HP #7, I truly truly must read it. I think subconsciously I just don't want to let it end, but I do want to know how it ends (and yes, I've managed to stay blissfully unaware), but I might save it for our big August driving trip.

I also have some review titles to read:

Miss New India by Bharati Mukherjee

Kindred Spirits by Sarah Strohmeyer

Suffer the Children: The Case against Labeling and Medicating and an Effective Alternative -- I am not against medicating kids who truly benefit from it, but I do think that it's a first resource, when it could often be the last, and the idea mentioned in the description of "treating" it at home reminded me of Brave Girl Eating, which I really liked. So we'll see how this one goes.



Need to finish:
Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading

The Optimism Bias: A Tour of the Irrationally Positive Brain -- I was curious about this one, because I AM an optimist. It's a little science-y for me so far, but we'll see.

Via NetGalley on my Kindle (yay!):

Your Child's Writing Life: How to Inspire Confidence, Creativity, and Skill at Every Age by the fabulous Pam Allyn

Rules of Civility: A Novel

I've think that when I travel this summer, I'm going to take my Kindle with me and plow through some of those books that I've been collecting. I even noticed that you could make a "collection" and so I went through and added some books that I hope to get to so that I can just go right there. I have two review titles that I need to read, so those will be my focus this month, but in July/August I'm looking forward to more e-reading.

Read-Alouds with Kyle:

The Invasion (Animorphs Book 1) -- They are reissuing this series! I may preview this one and try to encourage him to read it on his own, either now or later.

The Secret Zoo -- I received an ARC of the 3rd book in this series, out in the fall. I hadn't heard of it, but Kyle and were both intrigued. The book has great reviews on amazon, so I'm excited.

Read-Alouds with Amanda:

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (it was free on my Kindle--yay!)

Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog  This is the junior version of Garth Stein's novel for adults. We may just each read it, not as a read-aloud.

See other people's Nightstands the 4th Tuesday of each month at 5 Minutes for Books.

10 comments:

Amy said...

Looking forward to reading your reviews! Amazing to read seperate read-alouds with your kids!
Enjoy your month of reading!
Amy

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

People today are too apt to medicate their children.


Here is mine

Lisa notes... said...

I understand you saving the book for a trip. I do that too. :-)

Optimism Bias sounds familiar—I may have skimmed that one at some point. The too-science books often get the skimming treatment from me. I love to see your read-alouds. Such precious and important times together!

Carrie said...

I like the title "The Secret Zoo." SOUNDS interesting.

We'll just pretend you remembered to put The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe on your list. ;)

Nancy said...

I REALLY liked 13 Little Blue Envelopes and I think you both will too. I loved following Ginny all over Europe and unraveling the mystery of the envelopes. I even read it in the car on our way home from our trip, something I normally can't do because I get nauseated but I just couldn't put it down. And I found I didn't even get nauseated reading on my phone!

And i agree with Carrie that The Secret Zoo sounds interesting, one to look into for Alex.

Barbara H. said...

I like to take certain kinds of books on trips, too. They have to be the kind that I can easily get into and stay with.

My kids loved the Animorphs series way back! How neat that they're reissuing it.

morninglight mama said...

I'll be curious to read your take on the Optimism book... in this way, I believe you and I are probably quite different, as I don't think anyone would characterize me as an optimist.

(See??) :)

alisonwonderland said...

I'm also collecting some books on my Kindle for vacation time in August. I've only had my Kindle since Mother's Day, so I'm eager to see how it works for traveling - which is the primary reason I wanted it.

Happy reading!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Your Child's Writing Life looks intriguing. And I agree with you about medicating -- far too often, it's a first approach rather than a last.

Oh, and I'm not an optimist, but I do like reading geeky books about brain science. :)

Trish said...

Sounds like you have some good ones coming up! I'm interested in what Suffer the Children has to say - God knows I fought medicating my son for several years. He has been on a med for almost 2 months now and it is a good thing, but I think you have to know exactly why you are giving it and have clear criteria for evaluating its effectiveness.