Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Slaying the Fashion Victim

I went shopping this weekend. I ended up going alone due to a change in my friend's plans, but since Amanda had a three hour church rehearsal, and I had my husband's blessing, I tried to take advantage of the alone time. As I walked around the mall, I felt decidedly like one of the poor souls that Stacy and Clinton feature on What Not to Wear, who end up near tears in their frustrated states. I am not a shopper. Although I have a fairly good idea of what I was looking for, finding it was an entirely different matter. I tried on some things, and I even ventured into Ann Taylor--a place where I have never shopped, but women whose style I admire, do. I tried on several items there, but nothing wowed me enough to pay the price. I'm trying to get over my sticker shock, and if I love something, I'm going to buy it, but it should wow me.

After becoming despondent after an hour in the mall, I took refuge in a familiar store--Waldenbooks. I went to the Food Court, bought a Diet Coke, and found a bench, thinking I might just wait out my time reading. I read for a little while, and decided to leave and make a practical stop at the grocery store before picking Amanda up. I had entered through Macy's and that had been my first frustrating stop. However, I exited via a different way, and found clothes that I had not found when I first got there. Clothes I had looked for but didn't know where to find them. Casual clothes, but not T-shirts. So, I tried on several pair of jeans and several tops. I ended up buying a short-sleeved shirt on clearance, two pairs of jeans (one of which I've decided to take back), and three sweaters. I am not suited up to walk the runway, but I'm happy with my purchases.

I am not finished yet.

Related posts:
The Superficial Change

11 comments:

Dana said...

I (as you know) ahve the same shopping issues! I have always liked your wardrobe.

Michele@Philoxenos said...

I have a big shopping trip planned on Friday and I'm nervous. I haven't really shopped for more than an item or two in probably three years. My friend that has fashion sense says that I must make a change!

Org Junkie said...

Oh don't you hate that. I especially hate jean shopping. Hang in there!

I got my tote bag and books today. Thank you so much!!!!

MommySecrets said...

Oh, I empathize!

Do you ever read the Friday Style blog? I've been inspired by her thoughts on fasxhion.

http://fridaystyle.blogspot.com/

Andrea said...

I think there is a market for uber-trendy clothes made from fabric printed with book manuscripts. After all, they already make clothes with cell phone and ipod technology...kind of seems like a no-brainer. You would be the perfect target audience. I'll keep you posted on my progress in that area. (Perhaps I can also make some coffee infused clothing for myself.)

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I am so similar in this regard! I recently needed some church clothes, and I decided that if I actually found something I loved, I was just going to buy it without fretting over the price. I get so frustrated when I shop! I guess no one is ever going to accuse me of being super cool and trendy; however, I would rather not be frumpy either!

Katrina said...

I'm sorry that your friends ended up not being able to go with you...

I am a horrible clothes shopper. I tend to order polo shirts from Lands' End, and I get my jeans at Kohl's (since I wear them hard, I stick to the cheap stuff most of the time). But anything that requires searching and trying on and fashion knowledge just frustrates me.

I'm glad you were able to find a couple good pieces, and ones that you are happy with!

Stephanie said...

I always get lost in the Macy's near us. I finally figured out the lay out and they switched locations within the store. New layout. Now I have to figure it out all over again.

Glad you were able to find some things.

Beck said...

I have troubles shopping too - I have a casual, SAHM lifestyle, but I don't want to dress like a slobby teaenager, you know?

L.L. Barkat said...

This is why I never shop. It's been two years since I made my last clothing purchase!

martha stealth roommate said...

I have found good clothes, reasonably priced and updated but not super trendy at New York and Company. Things fit well. Steve even buys me clothes there for my birthday and such. I still remember shopping with you in Houston! It's much easier and fun with a friend because they make you try on things you would never try on and usually are right!